How to Keep Your HVAC System Working Through the Holidays
Your home has more guests than usual. The oven is working its magic on your signature holiday dish. Decorations and presents are filling every corner of your home. When you’re making your holiday to-do list, it is important to take into account how the holidays affect your HVAC system in order to keep it running smoothly and safely. This quick guide from Greens Energy Services can help you keep your HVAC system working through holidays!
Looking for tune-up services for your HVAC system before the holiday rush? Call Greens Energy Services at 407-917-3759 for the best quality and dependable care!
Tips to Save Energy During the Holidays
The holidays can be an expensive time of year, and since nearly half your home’s energy use is spent on heating and cooling, following these energy-saving tips can help you save on your energy bill:
- Preventative maintenance. Emergency repairs can be costly. By scheduling routine maintenance you can avoid a surprise breakdown and ensure your guests feel relaxed and comfortable in your home during the holidays.
- Add insulation. Did you know an insulated home loses a quarter of its heat through its roof? Over time, aging insulation can settle or deteriorate. Adding new layers of insulation can keep your home’s heat right where you want it!
- Adjust the thermostat. When your home is filled with guests and the oven running, you can lower your thermostat a few degrees and still be comfortable. For every degree lower you set your thermostat, can reduce your energy bill one to three percent!
- Change your air filter. Besides improving air quality, clean air filters make your heating system more efficient by making it easier for it deliver conditioned air.
- Dust and clean. Allergens and dust can build up on the vents in your home that could be problematic for your guests. Scheduling a cleaning will improve the quality of air in your home.
Energy Efficient Holiday Ideas
Don’t let your holiday decorations drain your wallet! Here’s some ways to conserve energy but still be festive:
- Use LED Lights to decorate. Compared to older, incandescent lighting, newer LED holiday lights use up to 80% less energy and can last up to 25 times longer!
- Shut lights off before bed. Putting your holiday lights on an automatic timer or unplugging them when you go to bed can keep them from drawing power when nobody is awake to enjoy them.
- Alternative decorations. Who says lights are the only way to deck the halls? Other festive decorating options such as tinsel, ornaments, and wreaths don’t add to your electric bill but still keep your home looking jolly!
- Did you know the average household spends as much as 10% of their energy bill on devices they aren’t even using? Unplugging charging cords when they’re not in use conserves energy and saves you money!
Are you hosting guests this holiday season? Make sure they’re comfortable and your home is ready by scheduling HVAC maintenance with Greens Energy Services today!